Monday, May 18, 2015

Do you Remember??



If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends, make it last forever, friendship never ends...I was about 7 or 8 years old the first time I heard these lyrics on the radio. Wannabe is, hands down, one of my favorite song and still is. Friendship is the understatement for this song. It really makes you feel like you’re a Spice Girl. I knew this song before I even knew who the Spice Girls were. I adore the beat to the song and every time I hear it, it puts me in a good mood. I remember buying their CD and listening to it EVERYDAY! I would blast Wannabe multiple times throughout the day. I had that song on repeat, and I am surprised the back button did not break. My friends and I had every word to Wannabe memorized from the laugh in the beginning to the Zig a Zag Ahhh. We even made up dance moves to the song and would sometimes dress up to perform them. We would perform them for ourselves, families and friends. We performed in our living rooms, bedrooms and on the front lawn with our hairbrush microphones in hand.

There is one performance I remember the best . It was on at a father / daughter camping trip, the daughters had to perform a skit on Saturday night and we were going to perform Wannabe (of course)! We practiced Friday night, Saturday morning and afternoon, and then performed it that night. It was so much fun. Each girl was a Spice Girl. I was Sporty or Posh depending on my mood, but I can rocked the pout or track pants when I need to. Wannabe’s lyrics are about the value of friendship and that is what spoke to me as well as the Zig a Zag Ahhhh line.  Now that I am older I understand the lyrics more and the message of the song is about friendship and closeness between friends. If you want to be with someone, you have to get along with his or her friends too. Nothing can break that bond between true friends, i.e., "Friendship never ends..." I still love listening to Wannabe and I still sing and dance along to it. Every time I listen to it now I remember those times as kid and all the fun times this song brought and still does. I listened to this song while I was exercising and getting ready to go out. It gave me this rush and burst of energy and I usually sing along too. Even when I played it at home, I couldn’t sit still while this song plays. Though, it is arguable that this song is sexual. While reading the lyrics, I mean it is kind of obvious… the chorus is “If you wannabe my lover you’ve got to give.” Another part in the lyrics I found sexual was “We got Em in the place who likes it in your face, you got G like MC who likes it on E, Easy V doesn’t come for free, she’s a real lady.” G likes it on E? Well I’m pretty sure that is about drugs. I mean they are called the SPICE girls, not the sweet girls.
 Do you remember  your First Favorite Song?


d725172fa9108646c192e9168fb1626bfd93806171e3345047

No comments :

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird